11.02.2011

one fine day

ny, ny


This day was, dawn till dusk, pure joy. From this morning's birthday pancakes to the barking sea lions in the Central Park Zoo to the birthday suit parade that went on long past bedtime, it was as happy a first birthday as I could ever dream of for our little girl. I didn't think it was possible to be filled with more wonder than we were a year ago today, when at 7:02 pm, our baby girl arrived finally, quietly just after sunset, and was laid on my chest. But I am. I wonder more and more every day, at the parts of her that are me, the parts of her that are Andras, the parts that are complete and utter original Greta.

Greta's tiny feet {she's walking!} and enormous appetite {family trait} are hard to keep up with, one of the reasons I'm not here to write as often as I wish, but a year went too fast, so I'm spending these days cherishing her, and putting together a first birthday bash at least one of us will remember forever. I'll see you here again soon with stories and recipes when we recover.

In the meantime, wishing you the happiest of days, whatever it is you're celebrating.

1 comment:

Christine said...

SUCH a sweet tribute to your little girl. This is a wonderful age!

My photo
New York City, United States
Sarah Copeland is a food and lifestyle expert, and the author of Feast: Generous Vegetarian Meals for Any Eater and Every Appetite, and The Newlywed Cookbook. She is the Food Director at Real Simple magazine, and has appeared in numerous national publications including Saveur, Health, Fitness, Shape, Martha Stewart Living and Food & Wine magazines. As a passionate gardener, Sarah's Edible Living philosophy aims to inspire good living through growing, cooking and enjoying delicious, irresistible whole foods. She thrives on homegrown veggies, stinky cheese and chocolate cake. Sarah lives in New York with her husband and their young daughter.